Friday, January 6, 2012

What's In A Name?

After lying awake at night trying to come up with the perfect name for my first blog, this name came as an epiphany one morning while showering and is so perfect! It has dual meaning to me. First and foremost, I have just admitted and accepted that I have an addiction to sugar (yes, hide the candy from mom, not the kids!) and my goal is to try to be as close to a “sugar free me” as possible and I want to educate my children on a healthy lifestyle. I've come across a couple of great books that discuss sugar sensitivity and sugar addiction and they are awesome and are helping me to realize many things about myself.  How is it that I love health and fitness and figure competing and can be in amazing shape and then have this sugar addiction demon take over and all is lost?  It's a vicious cycle that I have gone through many times in this life of mine.  I can hear the tune now...roller coaster, ooh ooh ooh.
The other meaning is a big step for me and is (drum roll please)...to not sugar coat stuff. I've always been such a people pleaser that I will go out of my way to sugar coat the truth as to not hurt people's feelings or make them feel bad. So, going forward, my goal is to be as open and honest as I can possibly be without being hurtful as there are boundaries one should not cross and I don't want to be known as having diarrhea of the mouth! LOL. I hope that this will be a two way street as well. I want others to be honest with me and not sugar coat things as to not hurt my feelings. Can I just say that over the past three months I'm guessing that I have gained at least 15 pounds due to my addiction to sugar (at this point it is such a big gain that I refuse to get on a scale as to not depress myself anymore than I already am...but could that be viewed as a form of “sugar coating” the truth?!). Anyway, I am so shocked at how many people say “I can't tell you've gained any weight at all” or “you don't look any different to me”. Really people?! Friends. Husband. I went from being in awesome figure competition shape to completely out of shape with weight and fat gains that are visibly seen and felt and people are really telling me that I don't look any different?! To be quite honest, that's almost insulting! So, be honest people. I don't want you to be ugly about it and say “yep, your butt has definitely gotten big and soft” or “I knew you had packed on a lot of fat, but I didn't want to say anything”, but please don't sugar coat the cold hard facts either. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment